The dish that Omnivore Meats was founded on! This dish is a classic staple to any Italian household (it's also Gabriella's favorite food). Eat over pasta, dunked with some bread, on sandwiches- let's just say you can never go wrong with adding a little "bolo" to everything!
- 3 TBSP Olive Oil
- 1 Pound Omnivore Meats Ground Beef
- 3 Cloves Garlic, minced
- ½ Yellow Onion, diced small
- 1 cup Red Wine
- 1, 28 oz. Can of Crushed Tomatoes
- 2 TBSP Sugar
- 1 tsp Fresh Oregano, chopped
- 1 TBSP Fresh Basil, chopped
- 3-4 TBSP Parmesan Cheese Rinds (it is best to use one big piece)
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
- Parmesan Cheese, for serving
HOW TO MAKE IT
- In a medium-sized pot, add in olive oil and place over medium-high heat.
- Add in Omnivore ground beef and cook until it is dark brown in color, stirring occasionally to break up the meat into smaller pieces. A layer of dark brown will cover the bottom of the pan.
- Add in the garlic and yellow onion then stir until golden brown.
- Pour in 1 cup of red wine to deglaze the bottom of the pan and stir until the wine is mostly evaporated. You will notice that the brown goodness will "clean" itself off the bottom of the pot.
- Add remaining ingredients and stir.
- Bring the sauce up to a simmer and cook for a minimum of 1 hour. The longer it cooks, the sweeter the flavor will be as the sugars in the tomatoes caramelize.
- Remove the cheese rinds from the sauce before serving with your favorite type of pasta!
Finishing Touch: Serve with fresh pasta, top with parmesan cheese and enjoy!